How much do you know about social economy? Here are some amazing facts about it – have a read to see how many you have come across before and how many would be amazing to find out!
There are 2 million social economy enterprises in Europe, representing 10% of all businesses in the EU.
Social economy entities are mostly micro, small, and medium-sized enterprises.
An important and growing group of social economy enterprises are the social enterprises. Their main objective is to have a social, or environmental impact for the general interest.
Up to 160 million people in Europe are members of social economy enterprises.
Social economy enterprises and organisations are distinguished from capital-based companies by a set of specific shared values and characteristics:
- The primacy of the individual and the social objective over capital
- Democratic control by the membership
- The combination of the interests of members, users, and general interest (society)
- The defence and application of the principle of solidarity and responsibility
- Reinvestment of the surplus to carry out sustainable development objectives, services of interest to members or of general interest
- Voluntary and open membership
- Autonomous management and independence from public authorities
There you have it, a list of amazing facts about social economy that may have amazed you. To keep up to date with more articles like this, don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter!